Think about building your own salad bar
Prepare the exahsuted version of yourself so that eating enjoyable food that supports your goals is automatic.
What I am covering here:
✔️The neccesities for an active lifestyle that tastes GOOD
✔️Stocking your 5 favorite items from a salad/bowl bar
✔️Items for quick meals
✔️Incredible bulk finds
✔️favorite sprouts brand items
✔️Flavor insurance Sauces & seasonings
When I want to maintain my goals of moving, performing, and feeling well, it is crucial that I set my self up for success. Good intention aren’t going to cut it. The following is an example of what I try to always have stocked for quick meals that are tasty and healthy. I’m using my favorite market Sprouts to show an example how they are my 1-stop shop for everything. The sprouts brand products are as good or better than anything else around at a much better value.
What makes my kitchen different than others?
I priorotize pleasure and long term health! The items that I keep on hand include a variety of basic nutrients that are supported by FLAVOR INSURANCE!
Flavor insurance or assurance are things like condiments, sauces and seasonings. People aren’t going to keep eating “healthy” nutrient dense food if it’s not enjoyable. This also goes for the things that I avoid keeping in the kitchen. Just like you, I love deleicioud food but I stay clear of these ingredients and foods that contain Vegtables oils, hydrogenated oils, high fructose and corn syrup. It’s easier to stay on thr right track if you’re hungry/hangry self isn’t being tempted and tested.
Take a look at my common staples below and you can see more here
Building your own Salad or Bowl Bar
Think about going to your favorite salad, bowl, or taco spot. You can choose something off a menu or you can build your own based off of the ingredients available. The conveneince factor of having chopped up ingredients makes for a quick meal that’s ready in minutes. Think about that when you are stocking up on ingredients. Can you buy chopped vegetables, proteins, or starches to make for a quick meal?
Lets start with your bases to build meals around
Sprouts makes it easy to pick up quality chicken, beef and fish. My most common protein is air-chilled chicken thighs that I will pick up 2-3 lbs at a time.
- Free Range Chicken Thighs
- 100% GrassFed Ground Beef
- Rotisserie Chicken when I don’t have time for prep
- Canned Wild Fish – Salmon, Mackerel, Sardines
I try and use cooking methods like instant pot or grilling to cook extra servings
Vegtables (your main entree)
This is where we are going to make our meal more filling from volume, fiber and nutrients. I stock up at Sprouts Farmers Market because they have a huge produce section with a variety of clean veggies. I like to take advantage of the salad bar section and stock up on pre-cut items like broccoli, brussels, and carrots for quick meals. All of these can be thrown in to a pan after cooking protein to saute, steam-fry, or chop for a salad.
- Shredded Carrots
- Sweet Potatoes
- Broccoli & Broccolini
- Leafy Greens
- Fennel & other seasonal vegetables
- Riced Cauliflower
- Riced Broccoli
- Root Vegetable Hash
- Frozen Blueberries
- Avocadoes (yes they are a fruit)
Bulk & Grocery
- Basmati Rice (bulk and pre-cooked packages for conveneince
- Vegetbale Rice and pastas (quinoa, lentil, or chickpea based)
- Oats (gluten-free)
- Wraps – Sprotued wraps with seeet potato are my favorite. You get fiber and protein!
Flavor Insurance Seasonings & Oils
- Sprouts seasoning blends (Paleo is awesome)
- Onion, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, etc..
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative)
- Jalepeno hot sauce
- Cultured vegetables like kimchi or kraut
- Olive oil (I prefer italian olive oil for low heat and sauces)
- Nut butters without canola oil or corn syrup
Vitamin & Self Care
- Plant Protein powder for shakes, pancakes, and other functional ingredient recipes. Sprouts Brand Salted Caramel has to be one of the best tasting natural plant proteins on the market
- Flavored Stevias and sweeteners
- Fish Oil
- Multi Vitamins, vitamin D, and more
Make it easy on yourself and think about making a salad bar in your fridge!
Share them with me and I’ll answer throughout the month.
Make sure to check back next week as I show you how to prep a week’s worth of active lifestyle meals from