Use Stevia as A Sweetener To Increase Insulin Sensitivity & Decrease Inflammation
What it is: Stevia is a plant that is native to the Americas and it is naturally sweet but provides no calories.
Why use it: Not only is it an ideal alternative to sugar, stevia conveys the following health benefits:
• It can modulate blood sugar and is being tested as a preventative supplement for diabetics.
• It increases insulin sensitivity and decreases oxidative stress associated with large insulin spikes in response to eating carbs and sugar.
• It is anti-microbial and acts as an antioxidant in the body, decreasing oxidative stress and inflammation.
How to use it: Add to bland or neutral flavors (a little goes a long way!)
• Stevia comes in liquid and powder form. (my favorites are chocolate, English Toffee, and Vanilla)
• Start using it by adding it to coffee, tea, or a post-workout whey protein shake.
• You could also blend it with fiber in water for a tastier beverage.
• Some protein powders, protein bars, and other natural foods are beginning to use stevia in place of sugar. Most natural meal replacements and plant based proteins use it as a sweetener.
• Try drinking something with stevia before eating for better insulin health and blood sugar management.